Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Off We Go

Byzantine pouch in silk, Beromunster, Switzerland
The inaugural entry to this blog shall be one that accomplishes a few things. Explanation, clarification, and a look into current projects.  I decided to do this blog because, frankly, I don't like to clutter up face book or the groups I am on with long winded postings about what I am making, why I am doing it a certain way, and an over posting of rambling thoughts. If my fellow 12th century clothing nuts wish to venture into this hemisphere of my brain, then all I can suggest is to tie a piece of string to the start of the labyrinth because I do ramble. But in a good way. Promise.
Now, it should be noted that this blog is not done by a professional costumer or historian. I am a crafter with a background in law and public services. I love reenacting and recreating. I find joy in learning and researching. However I am unable to commit hours upon hours or the money to directly research primary resources. I do have to rely on the internet and library trips to find images. So if an image looks familiar, it probably is. If it's uncredited, I don't have a proper one but would happy to fix that if given it. This is also my work to educate myself and others on the same path.
As educational work, constructive criticism is welcome. As are fresh ideas and notes on perspective.

Down right the nose comments are not.

My blog. My rule.

I would also like to thank two people here at the start. My lovely Bella, for unknowingly helping to rekindle my passion for the 12th. To my loving Husband, for always encouraging me to push that little bit further.


Surface couching with gold thread on linen
Now, on to current projects. I have two that I have been working on here in the old project room. A bag and an under dress using trapunto to decorate the neck and sleeves. I have been looking a little bit more deeply into the trapunto items recently, so I will save that one for later. But, the bag is actually one of those things I have attempted to model a little closer to the image I saw.
I am using linen, couched with gold thread. Gold thread is... difficult... to work with, but hopefully the results will be worth it. I am using a blue cotton for some filler embroidery. I plan on adding pearls.

A 12th century girl can never have too many pearls.
 

The addition of blue accents,

No comments:

Post a Comment