Friday, June 28, 2013

A Happy Find

I wasn't planning on posting my bliaut work tonight. I really wasn't planning on posting anything.

Here's what went down:

I am planning a few more garments for the husband and myself. On Facebook Bella has this group where she shares her own ideas based on observations. One of the ideas that had me intrigued was the skirt being cut separately, pleated, and attached by a decorative band. I began my own research and found it referred to as a bliaut gironé, a style confirmed by Scandinavian archeologists. See: Medieval Clothing and Textiles 8 byRobin Netherton, Gale R. Owen-Crocker. A book I plan on trying to procure and not just stuck with limited access to for Web previews.

Alors!  Information sleuthing is my strong point.

Well, I thought I would see about finding some images when I found one I hadn't seen before. I got down right giddy. I found an image of an extant garment. The tunic of Don Garcia from the 11th century, from a site in Spain, made of silk. I could see how high the lacing went up, where the gores were, and how exact the keyhole neck was. Though it is earlier than what I am doing, it is still significant for the purpose of construction. It looks so much like the illuminations and stone carvings I almost became down right enthusiastic.

I don't recall ever seeing it before. And I was very glad to have found it. I am sure others have. But for the moment, the find was mine.

 tunic of Don Garcia

No comments:

Post a Comment