Thursday, July 4, 2013

Progress on Bag 1

So, the bag I had been working on is coming along nicely. I just put the finishing bead and pearl work on. I added a bit of fusible interfacing to the bag to protect the beads. Even though it's going to be lined, I don't want a bead or pearl to get snagged, break the thread and cause an expensive mess.
Glass pearls are fine. But I love the texture and glow of real fresh water pearls. Even the C grade pearls have loads of wonderful personality. I also used cobalt glass beads. I have a large stash I've been sitting on for about 20 years. They just glow blue in the light. Beautiful little things that must be used.

The bag I based this one on is a Byzantine relic pouch from the 10th or 11th century. I know, a bit early for me, but it made through the 12th century and never lost its fashionable charm. It has been described thusly: “lattice-work wreath pattern worked on a [silk] ruby red ground. It is made from a single linen-lined piece of cloth, and has seams on two sides. These are concealed by a narrow gold tablet woven border. The red silk drawstrings and carrying-cords are adorned with 25 silver balls.”
Now, I know someone out there is screaming about how I added pearls when there are no pearls on the extant piece.

My Reasoning Process
1) It's modeled after a Byzantine piece. Tons and tons of pearls were used by their royalty. It was if they had a pearl cannon and just drenched everything in pearls. If the former owner was modest or not noble, it stands a good chance it would not have gotten the pearl treatment.
2) I portray a 12th century French noble. Damn straight I am going to add pearls.
Once the bag is done, I will show it off. I still have to select beads and cords and line it. It will be all kinds of fab!!

No comments:

Post a Comment