Saturday, January 25, 2014

Rocking the Box




Today was one of those days where if it wasn't creative in some way, it wasn't happening.  I put together the bulk of a new dress I am working on for an event coming up.  Then I turned my attention to a box I purchased back in late November.  I had purchased it with the intention of painting it for my needlepoint sundries.

I had been lacking proper inspiration of a 12th century style to begin, much less complete, this box.  But today I finally painted the top. Not too shabby. Eventually I will gold leaf around the characters.

But, I need to work out what I will do with the rest.





If anyone is curious about the depictions, since these things most always tell a story, this is the wooing of Ali by Turstin.  Turstin's shield bears the mark of the Company of the Mountain.  So he comes from the cold lands of the north, thick with ice and snow.  It is why he dresses so warmly.  He has come to Ali's home, where there are always flowers.  But she finds his gift of a single gilly flower sweet and is willing to accept it from him.












No comments:

Post a Comment